Saturday, August 19, 2006

More cooking

Amazing. Get to talking about food and I actually get to posting more than once in a while on this blog. Anyway... Tonight's supper was BLTs for the wife and child, and a BLT salad for me.

Oh - no, I wasn't eating healthy, I was being a pig. Still, I'll share.

First, I cook my bacon in the microwave. I've a VERY old ridged bacon rack that is microwave safe and keeps the bacon out of its grease while cooking. Lovely device and I know I"ll miss it when it's gone. Basic technique I use is to set the minutes to equal the number of slices of bacon I've got, then LISTEN. When the bacon quits popping, it's time to stop the microwave. Tadaa - crispy bacon, not yet burned. As it happens, I know my particular microwave well enough to know it's 5 minutes for 7 slices. But that's after a long time using it, and I know that other microwaves cook just a tiny bit different. Enough...

I make my salad last. Lettuce first - here's my piggish moment, I'm making a salad so I'm going to use a healthy amount of lettuce. I toast some bread - and since I normally have two sandwiches it's four slices of bread. Large cubes, toss into the salad. The tomatoes get sliced thick and then cut into bite-sized chunks. The bacon - enough for two sandwiches - gets broken up and tossed on top. Now for the artery hardening step.

I take about as much mayonaisse as I'd normally put on the sandwich, and pour in the residual bacon grease. That usually means about two tablespoons of mayo and a tablespoon of grease. Whip thoroughly, and put into the salad, then toss to get the dressing everywhere.

yum.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kirk,

Step in front a bus. It is quicker and less painful.

good god man....

BACON GREASE???!?!?!?!

8/21/2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger Kirk said...

sigh OK, I expected this but still...

Bacon Grease. One Tablespoon.
104 calories, all from 12 grams of fat, 6 of which are saturated. Depending on the bacon used, 15-24 mg of sodium.

Compared to a tablespoon of salted butter, it's less sodium, less saturated fat, and more flavor.

The key in eating healthily turns out to be not so much watching WHAT you eat as watching HOW MUCH of WHAT you eat.

8/21/2006 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home