Thursday, March 23, 2006

My mind's not big enough

I just can't quite accept the idea the Bible is 100% accurate and infallible. And it's the internal contradictions that do it to me. Yesterday I ran into the one that first caused me to stumble, and I thought I'd post it here. Both of the following are from the King James version - it's the one most folk think of as definitive. It's the tale of the end of Judas Iscariot.

First, Matthew 27: 5-8
5And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. 6And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. 7And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in. 8Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.


Then Acts 1: 18-19
18Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. 19And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.


Yes, you doubters, the "he" in both is identified in preceding verses as Judas Iscariot. It's "concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus." (Acts 1:16, part)

He threw back the silver - no, he bought a field - no, the priests took the money he threw back and bought a field. He hung himself - no, he fell headlong with such force he burst apart. The only agreement in the two is that the field was thereafter known as the field of blood.

Sorry, I cannot accept the Bible as literal with such a glaring internal contradiction. Doesn't mean I don't have faith, but it means I accept the Bible was written and edited by men - imperfectly trying to reflect perfection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home